Friday, May 20, 2011

letting joy in

I have logged at least 70 hours on my mat in the last 26 days and have a few more classes before I leave next week. This journey this month through yoga has been just what I needed.  Both physically and mentally.  I was able to set a goal and stick to it. I have focused on the connection of mind, body and breath.  I have put time, effort, love and energy into something that I needed.  It wasn't for anyone else, it was for me. I have felt more calm and peace than I have in years.    Most importantly, I felt joy again. Real joy.  Something that had been seriously lacking in my life this year. And that felt great.  I made some poor decisions this year.  I put my heart in something for too long this year that did not better it, but rather began to destroy it.  I've found my heart again.

My journey is far from over. I was able to pack a yoga mat in my duffel for my summer trip.  I have recordings of yoga classes, I have a couple of DVDs to follow if I really need it. But I also am at a point that I should be able to manage an hour or so of yoga on my own.  It will be a matter of finding the discipline to do it on my own.  Staying in shape while abroad is a feat.  I won't be able to run very much.  I may be able to get away with it on the beach near the tourist resorts. And when I get to Malawi there's a hash house harriers group (wikipedia that ish, its going to be fun). And there will be no free weights, and I'll be dammed if I lose my triceps again.  I like 'em too much now. So I'll need a lot of creativity if I'm going to stay active while I'm gone.

I look forward to continuing this journey this summer while I am abroad and continuing to focus my life on letting in joy.  I urge anyone reading to go to a yoga class.  For those of you in Chapel Hill, your first class is free at Franklin Street Yoga.  All of the instructors are great, but if you can work it into your schedule go to Mike's class.  Have I stressed how much I like Mike's classes yet?  

No comments:

Post a Comment