Monday, August 1, 2011

hash house harriers

I write this post, mildly intoxicated from the beers I was forced encouraged to chug. I have just come from my first hash. And am a bit sad there is only one more to go before heading back to the states.  This was the most fun I’ve head running… ever.  The group was mainly made up of Brits, South Africans, Dutch and Aussies and we were scolded more than once for our American accents.  Rightfully so. The required calls on the trail, like “on, on” and “falsie” sound so much better from everything other than American accent. It really is quite ugly. But, I digress. 
We met at the Lilongwe Wildlife Center.  And split into groups.  Walkers, a short run and a long run.  I decided that because of my recent long run accomplishments I would go with that group.  Turns out there is a difference between running long and running long and fast. And the latter I cannot do.  But I took off in the woods with a bunch of Brits.  Long story short I pretty much got my ass kicked.  But I managed to not let that show too much.  We ran through the woods, ducking under trees, climbing over fallen branches, crossing rivers, not on bridges but on huge sewage pipes, occasionally stopping to let some folks catch up. 
They try to pace the runs so all the groups meet back up around the same time and then the drinking commences.  My friend and I each grabbed a beer and chatted for a while until we were all called to circle up. Various groups were called into the middle, and the newcomers were one of those groups. We were all made to chug a beer whilst the other sang a song of encouragement.  My friend was driving so beer was stealthily poured into my cup so I would be the one drinking instead.  Then again I was called into the middle. This time for a penalty. Apparently Keens are deemed inappropriate footwear and I was scolded for not wearing socks on top of that. My punishment. More beer.  Good thing my days at Michigan paid off, eh mom? 
According to Wikipedia, the constitution of the Hash House Harriers goes like this:
·         To promote physical fitness among our members
·         To get rid of weekend hangovers
·         To acquire a good thirst and to satisfy it in beer
·         To persuade the older members that they are not as old as they feel
These things they certainly did.  I’ll be back next week for more fun, though hopefully less beer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment