Monday, May 23, 2011

a different beginning

This blog has been my outlet for my experience through yoga the last few weeks so even though the content will be shifting pretty dramatically for the rest of the summer I wanted to just continue the same one.  One of the first questions friends and family have asked me when I tell them I am going to Africa for a summer is "Whats the link to your blog?"  Well truth is, I'm not really much of a blogger.  I guess have been in a the last few weeks but it was more to get my ramblings out without bugging my friends for the 10th time that week about how great I felt after that yoga class.  They got it, I felt great.  So I told the internet. Now I have people  who want to know how I'm doing on my next adventure.

There are three reasons in my mind right now for using this blog for my upcoming trip.
A.To avoid doing the work I don't want to be doing right now.
2.  To keep some kind of running journal that I can't lose or just pack away in a box.  I recently went back to my Ethiopia blog and while there weren't many posts, it was kind of cool to remember some things I had let slip away.
and D. To make my mother happy (since I haven't even left yet and she misses me already.)

I think mostly this is for my mom. And maybe dad, siblings and aunts, uncles, cousins, basically anyone my mom is going to send the link to and insist they see what her baby girl is doing halfway around the world.   I don't know if I'll maintain it as much as I should.  I didn't the last time I went abroad but, we'll see.

For those of you who may see this and not know what my plans are yet I'll give you a quick run down.  I leave in a few days for Mombasa, Kenya where I will be taking Swahili classes every day for 8 weeks. I took a full year of Swahili here at UNC this year and received a fellowship to continue studying.  The program is run by Yale.  I'll be living in a house with a bunch of Yale undergrads.  For those of you who pray, I may need a few.  When I'm not in classes I'll working on my practicum for my degree (I'll spare you the details of that project, I don't even know if I understand it yet), taking tons of photos and with any luck hanging out on the beautiful white sand beaches in my time off.

As soon as classes there end I'll be heading south to Lilongwe, Malawi.  The UNC medical school runs a rather large set of clinics in Lilongwe and they have asked me to come do some documentary photography for them.  This is it. This is what I want to do with the next 50 plus years of my life so fingers crossed all works out well.

Summer in Chapel Hill has beautiful so far. The weather is amazing. Seriously though people. Why our family settled in Michigan I will never figure out.  I had an unexpected last couple of weeks.  Met some wonderful people.  Spent time with friends.   Got out in the city a lot more.   Part of me wishes I was staying put.  Just part of me.

I'll do my best to keep in touch everyone.  I should have pretty decent internet and I'll be uploading photos as I go so as soon as that is set up I'll post a link where you can take a look at those as well.  When I'm on skype don't hesitate to call me.  If I remember Ethiopia right, mixed in all of the wonderful times, theres a bit of lonely when you're abroad without a ton of connections and I can say right now I'll appreciate the contact.

Much, much love all.

No comments:

Post a Comment