Sunday, April 24, 2011

apparently now I blog too.

A lot has changed in the past few weeks.  Change I was not prepared for. Maybe I should have been prepared. I feel like it was a long time coming but I was doing my best to avoid it and doing a very good job at that.  

Before we go there, lets go back a little bit.  At the very beginning of the semester I started working out everyday.  Its pretty appalling to me that in the school of public health, people's personal health is a disaster.  13 hour days at school leave very little time and energy left for exercise and healthy meal preparation.  We are certainly not practicing what we preach and I was set on changing that.  So I hit the gym every morning.  During one of the first few days I went to a yoga class.  Best yoga class ever.  The instructor was incredible.  Words cannot describe what I felt during that class.  And as I laid in savasana, Iron and Wine playing in the background, and a smile on my face,  I vowed that I'd keep feeling this way.  Well, that didn't happen.  Surprise of all surprises, the semester got busy, stayed busy, and I let it slip away.  

Jump forward and there, in the heart of finals and group project hell, I ended a relationship.  As if I didn't have enough to do, now there were wedding plans to cancel and belongings to divvy up.  Ultimately I feel fantastic about the decision. It was something I should have done a long time ago and while the timing wasn't ideal, I instantly felt relief.  

Still, after a hard semester, academically and personally, I needed to heal a little bit.  And as I was sitting in those hours of terrible group meetings, just wanting to be anywhere else, I kept thinking back to that Iron and Wine filled, glorious savasana months earlier.  I wanted that again.  

Classes are winding down and I need to do something for me.  I haven't done a single thing for myself in many many months and thats just not ok.  So here we go.  Yoga.  I leave the country in 30 days.  I will be gone for 80. I've spared most of my family and friends any details on the breakup.  Partly because there's not a whole lot to tell. Partly because I think people expect you to be sad after a breakup and I'm not all that sad.  Maybe that sounds cruel, or maybe that means it was the right thing to do.  Either way, if I haven't spilled to friends or fam about the breakup, I'm certainly not going to bore them with this yoga stuff either.  Enter the interweb.  

No comments:

Post a Comment