Monday, July 18, 2011

soundtrack to the summer

When I loaded up my computer and ipod for the trip I knew I wouldn’t have space on this computer to bring all of my music.  I was also in the mood for some new tunes.  So I took a bunch of music from my roommate and a friend.  It was a pretty small selection of music to start with and what I have actually listened to on a regular basis is an even smaller listing.  This list is the soundtrack to my summer.  There have been plenty of other tunes floating around this house but these are the songs I listened to the most.
These songs also evoke memories of the trip so far.  On the drive back from Malindi through the lush green countryside, the window of the bus open and the wind loudly blowing around me while vast fields rushed by,  I listened to Junip.  Grace Potter and Rachel Yamagata remind me of working out on the roof with Katie, the women in the house behind us lined up in their chairs on their roof confusedly watching us work on our buns, guts and thighs and use water bottles for weights as we tried to kill more time after our runs to keep ourselves from stuffing our faces before dinner came.  The National and Bowerbirds songs  will remind me of sitting on the balcony reading or journaling or drawing in the afternoons.  Bon Iver reminds me of sitting on the roof with Elizabeth’s boyfriend’s pink pig guitar playing and singing. And Colin Meloy told me that “you must bear your neighbor’s burden within reason” at times when I needed that life lesson reminder in that crazy house of girls. 

Bon Iver – Skinny Love
Rilo Kiley – Silver Lining
Camille – Mon petite vieux
The Decemberists – Don’t Carry it All
The Decemberists – January Hymn
Grace Potter & the Nocturnals – Paris (ooh la la)
The National – Bloodbuzz Ohio
Bon Iver – Blindsided
The National – England
Rachael Yamagata – 1963
Junip – Black Refuge
Bowerbirds – Northern Lights
Junip – In Every Direction
Fleet Foxes – Montezuma
The Civil Wars – Dance me to the end of love




The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Exclusive - Bon Iver - Skinny Love
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive

No comments:

Post a Comment