Friday, July 22, 2011

the first day home

I leave for Malawi this weekend.  I still have a few weeks before I get back to the states but with most of the girls starting to get excited about going home there has been much discussion about what people are looking forward to the most.  We all have a dream for our first days back and I am no exception.  Some are craving bagels, some can’t wait to wear shorts in public, some have schedules pedicures and haircuts. Its not that this summer hasn’t been luxurious in its own ways.  We’ve stayed at nice hotels on weekends, we’ve been served dinner every night, we have a nice house with a fantastic view.  But there are definitely certain elements of home that are just not to be found here.  Like hot water for example, or fresh water.  The water at the house is essentially pumped right from the ocean so we’ve all been bathing in salty water all summer.  My hair has a texture that I’ve never experience before.  I have no idea what Malawi will be like but right now there is a perfect day in my imagination waiting for me in Chapel Hill. 
I plan to:
Get picked up from the airport and go straight home for a hot, non-salt water shower with real conditioner and will shave my legs with a brand new razor.

Go to chipotle for a steak and black bean burrito bowl with warm, salty, yummy chips and then to weaver for a grapefruit izze and espresso cheesecake. (I’ll go back to veggie right after that, but that delicious chargrilled steak is all I want right now.) 
Curl up on a couch in my pjs and my blanket in air conditioning, with all of my delicious food and watch a movie.
Then it will be a few jam packed days of studying for comps and travelling back to Michigan to see family before schools starts up again but on that first day back I want chipotle, cheesecake and chick flick. Who’s with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment