Saturday, June 4, 2011

my first runners high

My foot has healed enough for me to get shoes on comfortably again.  A couple of the people in our group had gone running earlier in the week so I decided to go check out the route.  I was feeling really great when I left and tried to remember how I feel when I do yoga, that joyful peacefulness and the focus on the breath.  I just decided I was going to enjoy the run.

The suggested route goes through a small garden area and then down a road that is mostly government buildings so there is hardly any traffic. After the long stretch of road  It goes all the way out to the water and past a golf course and some really beautiful new apartment buildings and then along the coast again.  I'll try to take my camera with me someday but its not quite the same as feeling that salty air on your face as you look over this coast.

In a previous post I wrote about how much I dislike running.  That I know its good for me and I know I need to do cardio, but that I have never felt joy from a run.  Today something completely changed.  After a few miles the road curved and this amazing ocean view opened up.  I stopped briefly to just stare at the water.  I felt amazing.  And for once I actually wanted to keep running.  I wanted to see how far the road went.  I wanted to see the rest of the coast.  And the huge ships coming into the shipyard.  And the lighthouse all the way around the bend.  When I finally realized that it was getting late and I needed to turn around and get back before it got dark, I still felt good enough to be running.  And I felt even better when I got back to the house and climbed up the three flights of stairs to our apartment.  I was ready for another. 

I still don’t run fast or very far, but now when I run, I’m happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment